Wednesday, February 16, 2005

memories with mama

Jeryle told me to treasure times I had with my mama. I think that's what he said. I suddenly remembered something when he said this.
I was sitting on a high stool at the kitchen counter in Cantara and I was quite young. Maybe I was six. I think we were eating cake, or tarts, or ice cream, or some snack that is sweet. It was sunny outside and the kitchen was quite bright. Mama had both her legs then and could still walk. She wasn't going deaf yet. She was talking to me about ah gong. He died from lung cancer years before I was born. She was talking about the old days, and I remember I had a lot of fun listening to her. I made some jokes about some of ah gongs theories and I remember she laughed and said he wouldn't like to hear that.

I remember we alway used to say, nobody can cook better than mama. and I can remember her standing her infront of the stove cooking lots of stuff.
I remember when I was young, I was trying to reach the cord to switch on the light. I ended up breaking the lamp. I remember being so scared, I went to hide in the closet with Iris. Mama came and found us and said to go tell jeet what happened and it'd be alright.
I remember that she'd always go 'nan nan nan nan nan' to calm lady down. And that she'd carry lady. Mama is always wearing sarong. even now she still wears sarong.
I think I don't remember a lot of things, cause I was very young when it all happened. and currently, mama can't hear me well, and her mind isn't as sharp as before. It's difficult now I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home